Less known facts about Tamil Nadu
There are lot of facts less known to common people about Tamil Nadu. (Please don’t mind if someone has already listed the fact, as I have not read any of the answers).
Warning: This is going to be very lengthy and will take up your precious time. Please bear with me till the end. Let the scrolling begin.
- Tamil Nadu is the second largest economy in India after Maharashtra.
2. Tamil Nadu is the only state which has Indian flag in its seal.
3. Tamil language spoken by Tamil Nadu people is one of the oldest classical languages in the world.
4. 60% of the Total epigraphical inscriptions of India found by ASI (ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF INDIA) are from Tamil Nadu.
5. Tamil Nadu has the following UNESCO World heritage sites.
Three Chola temples: the Brihadisvara Temple at Thanjavur, the Temple of Gangaikonda Cholapuram and the Airavatesvara Temple at Darasuram build by chola empire.
Nilgiri Mountain railway
Western ghats (shared with other states)
6. Rani Velu Nachiyar, was the first woman freedom fighter of India against British colonialism and she was Queen of Siva Gangai.
7. Vellore mutiny of 1806 was the first instance of large scale uprising of Indian sepoys against British East India company.
8. Tamil Nadu has the highest proportion of women working in police force in India (12.5%)
9. TAMIL Written literature is the oldest in the world surviving for more than 2000 years.
10. TAMIL NADU is the largest producer of banana, turmeric, flowers and Tapioca in India.
11. The Traces of migration from Africa about 70000 years ago have been found in a village near Madurai, Tamilnadu.
People living in Tamil Nadu may be one of the oldest thriving migrants from Africa.
Every drop of human blood contains a history book written in the language of genes
– SPENCER Wells, population geneticist who surveyed the village
The rare genes of “NRYM130“ which is found among all the primitive aboriginals was proved to be present in Jyothimanickam Village people.
12. Bhakti movement started in Tamil Nadu and spread to North India.
13. The game kabaddi originated in Tamil Nadu.
India is by far the successful international kabaddi team in the world, know why?
We have been playing it for centuries as our native sport.
14. TAMIL NADU is the top tourist state of India for three consecutive years from 2014–16
15. People of Tamil Nadu has great love for their language “TAMIL” that they have named their kids as follows,
- Tamil selvi/selvan
- Tamil Anbu
- Senthamil selvi/selvan
- Tamil Maran
- Tamil Isai
- Tamil vendhan
- Tamil Arasan / Tamil Arasi
- Tamil Mithran
- Tamil Vanan
- Shemmozhi (classical language)
- Tamil priya
- Tamil Alagan
If your name also has Tamil in it, do comment. I’ll be glad to add it to the list.
16. Tamil Nadu leads the country in organ donation
17. Tamil Nadu tops the nation in solar power and wind power generation.
18. The southern most point of India is not Kanyakumari.
It is Indira point of Great nicobar islands, Union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
19. Chennai amounts to 60% of the country’s automotive exports to the world. Chennai is known as the Detroit of India. It is one of the top ten automobile hubs of the world.
20. Spencer Plaza located in chennai is the oldest shopping mall of India.
21. Koyambedu bus terminus in chennai is the largest in Asia.
22. Vandalur zoological Park is the largest in India in terms of area. It is also the first public zoo of India.
23. World health organization (WHO) has rated ADYAR CANCER INSTITUTE as top ranking center in the country.
24. Kathipara Junction is the largest cloverleaf flyover bridge in Asia.
25. As Miss.has pointed out, Archaeological evidences indicates the crucible steel process started in Tamil Nadu before the common era (0AD). This wootz steel was exported to Damascus, Syria from India to make Damascus steel which are used in making sharp resilient blades . India exported steel ingots to Middle East from 3 A.D. to 17 A.D.
26. Everyone knows that Marina Beach is the second longest beach of the world. But it must be noted that it is the longest natural urban beach in the world.
27. The world’s largest solar power plant is in Kamuthi, Tamilnadu. It can generate a maximum of 648 MW.
28. The state of Tamil Nadu has erected statues for the foreigners as a recognition for their contributions to Tamil language and literature.
Constanzo Beschi, an Italian missionary known to us as VIRAMAMUNIVAR
Bishop Robert Caldwell – Irish linguist, missionary and Tamil language scholar
G. U Pope, who was best known for his translations of Thirukkural and Thiruvasagam
29. Fort St George was the first English fortress in India. It currently houses the Tamil Nadu legislative assembly and other official buildings.
30. Tamilnadu has given India the most number of Presidents.
A. P. J ABDUL KALAM
31. Vedanthangal bird sanctuary is the oldest water bird sanctuary of India. My native village is also located nearby to this sanctuary.
32. TAMIL NADU ranks first in the country in diversity of Flowering plants (Angiosperms). The state has 32% of total species of India.
33. The largest rose garden of India is Government Rose Garden, Ooty, India. The Garden has 22000 varieties of Rose.
34. All of the first 3 bharat ratna recipients were from tamil nadu (erstwhile madras presidency) .
CV RAMAN was the first Asian and first non-white to receive any Nobel Prize in the sciences.
C. RAJAGOPALCHARI – Last Governor General of India
SARVEPALLI RADHAKRISHNAN – Second president of India.
35. The world’s renowned mathematician, SRINIVASA RAMANUJAM was from Tamil nadu. Indian government has declared his birthday (December 22) as National Mathematics day.
36. Madras was the only city in India which was attacked by the central powers of Germany, Austria and Hungary during the First world War (1914–18). The German warship SMS EMDEN targeted the Oil tankers in the Madras Harbour.
37. THIRUKKURAL :
Thirukkural is one of the most translated non-religious works in the world. It has earned the title “ULAGA PODHU MARAI” (The Universal scripture).
Leo Tolstoy was inspired by the concept of non-violence in the German translation of Thirukkural. He instilled this concept in to MAHATMA GANDHI through his A letter to a Hindu.
Mahatma Gandhi took to studying Thirukkural in prison. He described it
A textbook of indispensable authority on moral life. The maxims of Valluvar have touched my soul. There is none who has given such a treasure of wisdom like him.
A two line, seven worded sentence can have such purity and worldly idea. Check out my profile description for a Thirukkural which inspires me. There is a Thirukkural which can make sense for each and every person living on earth.
38. Personalities who made Tamil Nadu and also whole of India proud at national and International Stage.
M.S. SUBBULAKSHMI – first musician ever to be awarded the Bharat Ratna. She is the first Indian musician to receive the Ramon Magsaysay award
A R RAHMAN – “THE MOZART OF MADRAS”, the Oscar award winning Musician from Chennai.
KAMAL HASSAN – The four time National award winning actor and Producer. Seven of his films represented India under Best Foreign film category at the Oscars.
VISWANATHAN ANAND: Five time world chess champion and India’s First Grandmaster
SUNDAR PICHAI – Eventhough he is a U.S CITIZEN, Tamil People are very proud of him being born in a humble family of Madurai, Tamil Nadu.
NARAIN KARTHIKEYAN – India’s first formula one driver
SHIV NADAR – Founder of HCL which operates in 34 countries and employs around 1,11,000 people (approx.)
RAJNIKANTH – He was not born in Tamil Nadu, But he made Tamil people proud
39. Few things are stranger than fiction
KUMARI KANDAM (LEMURIA CONTINENT)
In the 19th century, a section of the European and American scholars speculated the existence of a submerged continent called LEMURIA , to explain geological and other similarities between AFRICA, INDIA and MADAGASCAR.
The presence of Pandyan Kingdom in Kumari Kandam is described in ancient Tamil and Sanskrit literature.
“Kumari Kandam” first appear in Kanda Puranam, a 15th-century Tamil version of the Skanda Purina.
Land mass submerged, Literature drowned, but culture remains.
You will never know whether this fact is true or not. But you can’t reject the fact either.
40. BODHIDHARMAR was the transmitter of Chan Buddhism to China. According to Chinese legend, he trained the monks of Shaolin Temple that led to the creation of Shaolin Kung-fu.
How he is related to Tamils?
He was the third son of a pallava king, who renounced his royalty and practiced Buddhism. The references are from ancient Chinese and tamil scriptures.
Dàoxuān, a 7th century Chinese historian referred Bodhidharma’s origins as
he was of “South Indian Brahman stock”
Brahman here refers to pallava kings.
41. For those people, who are hungry after reading the answer.
Vada was believed to be popular among Tamil people during 100 BC to 300 BC.
Why there is a hole in between?
To maximize the surface area to volume ratio, so that it is completely cooked.
Chicken 65 was introduced in Buhari hotel, Chennai in 1965. Now you know why 65 !!!
Chicken 65 appears as the 65th item of Buhari hotel menu card.
Koozh – a millet porridge
Madras kaapi & kumbakonam Degree kaapi
Traditionally the banana leaf is laid so that the leaf tip is pointed left as most Tamils were right handed and would be easier for a right hander to eat if placed that way as he will have more leaf space on his right. Salt is placed on the left as it would require less space and will be served in less quantity.
Before the feast begins the leaf is sprinkled with water and cleaned by the diner himself even though the leaves are already clean.
The top half of the banana leaf is reserved for accessories, the lower half for the rice.
After finishing, the banana leaf becomes food for cows.
42. Nobel laureates who had their origins from Tamil Nadu / Madras state
Nobel Prize for physics
- Sir C V Raman
- Subramanyan Chandrasekhar
Nobel Prize for chemistry
- Venkatraman Ramakrishnan.
43. JUST IN – For the First time in INDIA, Transgenders are now applicable for the post of Sub Inspector of POLICE at Tamil Nadu.
K Prithika Yashini is the first transgender person to become a police official in India
44. Tamil Nadu is the only state covered with three seas of India (Bay of Bengal, Arabian Sea, Indian ocean)
45. Tamilnadu is the pioneer and the first state in India to introduce Mid-Day meal scheme in India. It was introduced first in Chennai and extended later to all other districts by the late chief minister Thiru K. Kamarajar.
46. Mathoor Aqueduct or hanging bridge is one of the highest and longest in South Asia. It was constructed in 1966 as a drought relief measure across river Pahrali in Nagercoil, Kanyakumari.
47. Siddha medicine originated from ancient Tamilakam. Agasthiyar was considered the first Siddha and guru of all Siddhars.
National Institute of Siddha was established in chennai to promote reasearch, higher studies and global recognition for Siddha Medicine.
48. Chennai is the health capital of India and attracts about 45% of Health Tourism in the country. Chennai Hospitals treats about 150 international patients every day.
49. Chennai is the first city in India to have municipal Corporation and it has completed more than 365 years and second oldest in the world after London city.
50. Bharathanatyam is possibly the oldest classical dance tradition of India.
Pic: Bharathanatya dancer Nisha sambhamoorthy
51. AVM Productions in chennai is the oldest surviving film studio in India.
52. Meet Rama, a White Tiger born at Vandalur Zoo in 2011.
He was used to the Tamil language commands given at the vandalur zoo and when he was transferred to Udaipur, Rajasthan, the Tiger could not understand the Mewari language or any other. A Tamil caretaker was sent to Udaipur zoo to settle the issue.
Either the tiger learns Mewari language or the caretakers here learn Tamil
Said an official at the zoo.
I’m unable to fathom which is easier, but Rama sure did made Tamil Nadu proud.
53. College of Engineering, Guindy is one of the oldest Technical and Engineering institution of India. It was established as a school of survey in 1794 and established as a college in 1859.
54. Siruvani River water is one of the tastiest River water in the world. Siruvani is the tributary of Bhavani in coimbatore, which is inturn a tributary of river cauvery.
55. PAMBAN Bridge connecting Rameshwaram Island with mainland is India’s first sea bridge (1914) and second longest sea bridge in India.
Edit: Thanks everyone for making this answer big (LOL !!! In terms of views and upvotes)
Updating in progress….. As this question made me realize, how less I had known about Tamil culture, Tamil Nadu and Tamil literature.
Article Credits: Arun Jvine